Choosing the right color of shoes can be a game-changer for your outfits, making them look more polished and stylish.
But with so many colors and styles available, it can be challenging to know which ones to choose.
Generally, Shoes in black, white, brown, beige, and other neutral tones will match nearly any outfit.
In this article, I recommend the best neutral shoe colors and styles that pair well with all colors and occasions.
I’ll also share tips on styling shoes to create versatile looks, common mistakes to avoid, party outfit ideas, casual styling, and more.
By the end of this guide, you’ll know precisely how to choose shoes that complement your whole closet.
Here are 8 colored shoes that go with everything
Black is a classic color that never goes out of style. It’s sleek, professional, and easily paired with casual and formal outfits.
Black shoes can make a statement without being too bold, making them a must-have for any wardrobe.
White shoes are a fresh, trendy choice that can brighten any outfit. They work well with light-coloured clothes and create a clean, modern look.
However, keeping them clean and free of scuffs is essential to maintain their pristine appearance.
Beige shoes are a warm and versatile choice that can easily blend with various outfit shades.
They’re particularly flattering for those with fair complexions and can create a cohesive, sun-kissed look when paired with summer outfits.
Brown shoes are a timeless choice that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
They work well with earthy tones and create a harmonious, balanced look when paired with your outfit.
Brown shoes are also known for their durability, making them a worthwhile investment.
Gray shoes are a sophisticated choice that can easily be paired with casual and formal outfits.
They’re a great alternative to black or brown shoes, adding a touch of sophistication to your look without being too bold.
Gray shoes can also be easily accessorized with different outfits, making them a versatile addition to your wardrobe.
Metallic shoes, such as gold or silver, can add a touch of glamour to your outfit.
They work well with monochrome or minimalist outfits, making a statement without being too bold.
However, ensuring that the rest of your outfit doesn’t clash with the shoe color is essential.
Nude shoes are a practical choice that can easily be paired with various outfits.
They blend in with your skin tone, creating a seamless, cohesive look that elongates your legs and complements your outfit.
Nude shoes are also known for their comfort, making them a popular choice for those who spend a lot of time on their feet.
Navy shoes are a stylish and professional choice that can easily be paired with both casual and formal outfits.
They add a touch of sophistication to your look without being too bold, making them a versatile addition to your wardrobe.
Navy shoes can also be easily accessorized with different outfits, creating a range of looks depending on your outfit and personal style.
Matching your shoe color to your outfit can be challenging, but it’s essential for creating a cohesive and stylish look. Here are some tips for color-matching your shoes:
- The 60-60 Rule: This rule suggests that you should match the color of your shoes to either 60% of your outfit or the color of the loudest item in your outfit. This technique helps create a harmonious and balanced look.
- Complementary Colors: Complementary colors are opposite on the color wheel, such as blue and orange or red and green. When paired together, these colors can create a striking contrast, making your outfit stand out.
- Analogous Colors: Analogous colors are adjacent on the color wheel, such as shades of blue, green, or orange. When paired together, these colors can create a cohesive and harmonious look, as they share similar wavelengths.
How to Style Your Shoes to Create a Variety of Looks
Styling your shoes to create a variety of looks can be achieved through various techniques:
- Pairing with Different Outfit Colors: Experiment with different outfit colors to find which shades work best with your shoes. This can help you create a range of looks depending on your outfit and style.
- Mixing and Matching Patterns: Combine your shoes with different patterns and prints in your outfit to create a unique and stylish look. This can help you stand out and showcase your personality.
- Incorporating Accessories: Use accessories like bags, scarves, or jewelry to complement your shoe color and create a cohesive look. This can help tie your outfit together and make your shoes stand out.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing Shoes
When choosing shoes, it’s essential to avoid common mistakes that can make your outfit look disorganized and unstylish:
- Matching Shoe Color to Your Outfit Too Perfectly: While it’s essential to create a cohesive look, matching your shoe color perfectly can make your outfit look monochrome and lack personality.
- Ignoring the Condition of Your Shoes: Dirty, scuffed, or worn-out shoes can detract from your outfit and make you look sloppy. Ensure your shoes are clean and well-maintained to create a polished look.
- Choosing the Wrong Heel Height: The heel height can make your outfit look out of proportion and uncomfortable. Choose a heel height that complements your outfit and is comfortable to wear.
Styling tips for casual and formal occasions
|Sneakers or flats for comfort.
|Closed-toe heels 3-4 inches.
|Cotton, canvas, or leather materials.
|Patent, suede, or matte leather.
|Neutrals, metallics, or bright pops of color.
|Structured shapes like pumps or Oxford heels.
|Neutrals, metallics, or bright pops of color.
|Black, nude, or metallics.
|Distressed and textured finishes.
What are some outfit ideas for shoes to wear to a party?
When building a party outfit, shoes make all the difference. Black, metallic, or nude heels instantly dress up jeans and a sexy top.
Add some sparkle with crystalline stilettos, or opt for velvet pumps or sandals for lush texture.
If comfort trumps glamour, style embellished velvet flats or beaded loafers with your LBD or jumpsuit.
Another option: choose vibrant shoes in one of your outfit’s colors or metallic shades. Satin emerald green or d’orsay heels perfectly complement jewel tones.
Or let rose gold sandals shine against black separates. Have fun playing up textures and pops of color in your shoes!
How can I style shoes to create a casual look?
The key to casually styling shoes lies in keeping silhouettes laid back. Sneakers, loafers, ankle boots, and flats in relaxed shapes make any outfit appear easygoing.
Neutral leather or canvas sneakers work with jeans, shorts, and casual dresses. Loafers feel preppy and fabulous with button-downs and trousers.
Western-style brown booties complement floral midi skirts for rustic charm. And pointed-toe flats lend polished flair to leggings and oversized sweaters.
Finish casual looks by layering on beaded bracelets, woven totes, and faded denim jackets for extra relaxed nonchalance.
What are the best types of shoes to wear for a formal occasion?
Closed-toe heels that elongate the legs make the best shoes for formal wear. Structured black pumps, sleek pointed-toe nude heels, and metallic stilettos complement cocktail attire.
Finish pretty silhouettes like wrap dresses or full skirts with T-strap sandals or crystal-embellished heels.
If wearing a flowing or column gown, simple satin heels keep the focus on the dress while lending height.
Just stick to 3 to 4-inch heels so shoes don’t appear too clunky or compromise comfort and balance.
What are some tips for styling shoes to wear to travel?
When traveling, the most versatile shoes prioritize comfort while looking polished enough for dining out or sightseeing. Pack two pairs: neutral sneakers and black or brown loafers.
Neutral leather sneakers easily style with jeans, joggers, shorts, and tees. At the same time, sleek leather loafers complement midi skirts, dresses, and trousers for dinner.
Avoid brightly colored shoes that may prove challenging to mix and match. Stick with black, brown or white to coordinate across casual and dressy outfits.
And be sure all shoes offer ample arch support and cushioning to carry you through long travel days comfortably.
Shoes in versatile neutral shades should be the core of every well-rounded closet. Black, brown, white, beige, grey, and nude shoes effortlessly match with colorful separates for countless mix-and-match outfits.
Style neutral basics with brights, prints, and metallics by playing with contrast and texture. Colour-matching shoes also help anchor statements while creating cohesive looks.
Avoid trend-driven styles and overly embellished shoes to maximize versatility across casual and formal occasions.
Building your collection around neutral shoes allows you to create variety simply by creatively styling and accessorizing them with the rest of your wardrobe.